If a student is absent due to a compelling reason, the student may submit an application for an excused absence to the professor, and the professor may excuse the student’s absence at his/her discretion. The reasons for excused absences are limited to certain circumstances by Korea University.
Accepted Circumstances for Excused Absences
- If a student is absent due to a compelling reason, the student may submit an application for an excused absence to the professor, and the professor may excuse the student’s absence at his/her discretion. The reasons for excused absences are limited to certain circumstances by Korea University.
- No documentation required
Military affairs such as Army Reserve training or duty, military enlistment examinations
- certifying document provided by the relevant military organization
Death of immediate family members
- Death certificate (which may be submitted afterward once an obituary notice is delivered) and certificate of family relation
Public official examinations or employment tests/interviews
- Documentation certified by the testing agency/corporation
Early employment of a prospective graduate
- Relevant documentation such as an employment certificate or a national medical insurance certificate
Official university activities (Matriculation Ceremony, Annual Ko-Yon Games, etc.)
- No documentation required (Participation in a matriculation ceremony is valid as a legitimate circumstance for excused absence for first-year students only)
Other circumstances equivalent to the above seven circumstances
- Relevant documentation
- Students may ask the professor for an excused absence within ten days of the absence. The application should be submitted before the last class of the semester.
- The decision to excuse the absence is made by the professor.
- Excused absences are not permitted during the exam period. (Receiving a grade for a missed examination is discussed separately in the article 69 and 70 of the Academic Regulations.)
Process for Applying for an Excused Absences
- If a student is absent for a compelling reason, the student may apply for an excused absence on the Portal (Course > Class Activity > Excused Absences): Application information is stored in the Portal.
- The application is sent to the professor via the Portal (Course > Course Plan > Excused Absences) and by e-mail simultaneously.
- Before confirming grades, professors review the applications for excused absences on the Portal (Course > Course Plan > Excused Absences) and take them into consideration when evaluating attendance point.
This Policy shall enter into effect November 1, 2019.
- General inquiries
- Educational Affairs Team : 02-3290-2731, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Academic Administration Division, Sejong : 044-860-1082, email@example.com
- Educational Affairs Team