Korea University Constitution Section 3 Article 35, Academic Regulations Chapter 6 Subsection 1
While studying their first major, this system offers students the opportunity to simultaneously pursue a second major, allowing them to earn two bachelor degrees upon graduation.
May and November
For detailed information on application schedules, refer to the notices on double major guidelines and the academic calendar on KU Portal or KU website.
Eligibility for Double Majors
Students who have declared their first major and have been enrolled for more than three semesters are eligible to apply for a double major. (Transfer students can apply after their second semester at KU)
- Students taking leaves of absence are ineligible.
Students who take a leave of absence (during the semester) after being approved for double major will be disqualified.
- Duration of enrollment for current students: Spring Semester (Mar. 1 ~ Jul. 31), Fall Semester (Sept. 1 ~ the following year Jan. 31)
Students who have already been approved for a double or interdisciplinary major and engineering authentication certificate program intend to re-apply, they must complete the withdrawal procedure by submitting the withdrawal request on KU Portal.
- Students who have already been approved for a double or interdisciplinary major and engineering authentication certificate program intend to re-apply, they must complete the withdrawal procedure by submitting the withdrawal request on KU Portal.
- Students who withdraw from the approved double major or interdisciplinary major can re-apply only once. In cases when the reapplied double major or interdisciplinary major is not approved, students are required to purse the intensive program of their first major.
- GPA, interview, and statement of purpose (depending on the evaluation standards established by each college)
How to apply
- For students admitted from the 2004 academic year and later (students enrolled in their third or fourth semester and general transfer students enrolled in their second or third semester)
- How to Register: Visit http://portal.korea.ac.kr → Registration and Graduation → University Registration → Apply for Double Major
- Declaring a second major is mandatory for students who entered the university in the 2004 academic year or after. Students must complete one of the following: an intensive major, double major or interdisciplinary major. (Pursuing a second major is an option for transfer students with bachelor’s degree.)
- The intensive major of the first major must be the same as their first major.
- Students who have been approved for a double major shall study their double major beginning the following semester.
Students may choose any department (or college) to fulfill their double major option, with the exception of the following:Departments of Law, Computer Science Education, Computer Communication Engineering, Medicine, and Cyber Defense, and the Colleges of Nursing and Pharmacy
Departments not available for application due to abolishment
College of Health Science
- Students from the College of Health Science who entered the university between 2006 and 2013 are ineligible to apply to other existing or newly established departments within the College of Health Science.
- Students from other departments can only apply to newly established departments (and are ineligible to apply to already existing departments).
- College of Health Science
- Applicants from the Business School, College of Political Science and Economics, School of Art and Design, College of Informatics, and Department of History Education are required to submit a statement of purpose (word limit: 1,000 words for each section).
- Students must check the relevant details regarding double major procedures (instructions file attached to the notice) before application.
- For further details regarding the double major credit requirements please contact the relevant department or college.
- Seoul Campus
- Sejong Academic Support Center (044-860-1125)
- Educational Affairs Team